Wednesday 10 October 2012

Tottenham's Kyle Walker out to win permanent place in England side


Kyle Walker: Excited about the prospect of facing San Marino
Kyle Walker: Excited about the prospect of facing San Marino

Sky Bet

Kyle Walker will fulfil a 15-year-old dream if he starts England's World Cup qualifier against San Marino.
The Tottenham right-back is expected to replace suspended Glen Johnson in Roy Hodgson's line-up for the Group H game at Wembley.
All three of Walker's caps have come in friendlies, and after missing out on Euro 2012 with a toe injury the 22-year-old is determined to make his mark in a competitive game.
He said: "On a personal note it is a fantastic opportunity for me to get into the team. I've been patient and waited for that. Hopefully on Friday I can show everyone what I can do and have a good game.
"A first competitive start is what I've been waiting for, for a long time now. For all my career, since I was seven, I've wanted to play for England, and put that jersey on.
"At the end of the season it was a disappointment, having worked so hard to get into the England team, to have that little niggle on my toe.
"But it was fantastic the manager gave me the phone call, saying it was sad he couldn't take me there but saying I was in his plans and he had belief in me.
"I had a good last season, winning the PFA's Young Player of the Year award and a few more awards, but that's just the start and hopefully I can go on."
Walker has made his name has an attacking full-back in the mould of Barcelona's Dani Alves, but he credits England coach Gary Neville for improving his defensive game.
Neville is England's most-capped right-back, and Walker said: "He's a player I looked up to and watched often. He had a fantastic career. He gives me tips and coaches me through things. I'm excited to be working with him.
"I've always liked to go forward but he has helped massively in terms of myself improving defensively. I just want to keep on learning. My defending is improving every time, every week."

No comments:

Post a Comment